Thursday, January 26, 2006

Zimbabwe trip - Carolina Wilderness.

I used to farm 10 minutes away from my friend Glen who has this amazing game farm called Carolina Wilderness. We used to meet up on motorbikes and ride around the farm in the most amazing bush filled with spectacular animals. I often used to stop off on the way home at another of my neighbours who had a large cheese factory and fill my back pack with delicacies such as parmezan and unpasteurised ricotta. The deal with the ricoota was that I had to promise the Danish cheesemaster that we would use the cheese immediately!

I hope that these pictures give you all an idea of the lush vegetation and the fun of growing up in the tropics!

This is with my Dad and my son in a field of Virginia tobacco. We used to grow a bit of this stuff before the political situation got the better of us!















This is a typical scene at this time of year. This is a field that would have had tobacco or maize in last year and now it has got a newly germinated pasture. These mushrooms (large root mushroom) are delicious and fairly common. For kids they are great as you can imagine the stories about where the fairies live and dance etc!







This farm is right on the outskirts of the capital city. This is a herd of impala. These are some of my favourite antelope.

We spent a few days there walking in the bush and driving around looking at the animals.
























There is a great range of wildlife here. There are 7 giraffe that have done fairly well. The Wildebeest (Gnu's) in the pic here should really be part of a commercial farming business as they are better suited than cattle to convert grass and other forage into protein.
We were lucky enough to see most species. We did not see Leopard or any Eland (the largest antelope). What a great place to chill out!





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

US Map